New messages Members Forum rules Search
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: kostova  
uCoz Support Forum by uCozers » Other » Off-topic » Wikipedia like site (sml[Default]Working with MediaWiki)
Wikipedia like site
BrazenDate: Saturday, 2010 October 02, 12:50 PM | Message # 1
Font size: A | A |
Colonel
Group: Administrator
[ ]
I wanted to build a site like WikiHow.com using Drupal first but so far I am failing since Drupal doesn't have much modules that offer a Wiki like features that I want, and if I want to continue building wiki like site in Drupal I will have to compromise and give up some wiki like features. However, Wikihow do offer clone of their site, but I just can't get it to work, I am getting bunch of php errors.

So, I tried MediaWiki, I got it to work, but so far I don't understand where is what, in terms of the codes. I only got as far as changing logo and that is about it.

If any of you have any suggestions, tips or you want to offer help I would really appreciate it.

LOL With Us! l Game Blog l 3D Autos

"knowledge without wisdom is curse" Alex Seb

jackassDate: Saturday, 2010 October 02, 4:37 PM | Message # 2
Major general
[ ]
I don't like drupal, did you try Joomla?

BrazenDate: Saturday, 2010 October 02, 9:29 PM | Message # 3
Colonel
[ ]
I kind of did, I know they have a good amount of modules for wiki like style site and that you can integrate MediaWiki with Joomla. But, I will have to look into Joomla more to know for sure that I can get the features I want.

By the way did any of you seen a wiki like site that runs in Joomla, even if its the demo site?

I did find demo site for the Drupal, but this is as good as it gets: http://test.tschannen.net/ (admin disabled Edit function in this demo)
In the demo you can see, "Revision" - shows you history of edit, "Talk" - Discussion, and "View" - viewing the article. And the "Edit" button which you can't see because Admin disabled Edit feature for Guests.

And here is the modules that can be used to achieve wiki like function in Drupal: http://www.starbowconsulting.com/blog/tao/wikis-drupal-6-module-review

Here are the down sides, If you were to look into any Wikipedia article you would see numerous [edit] links, each edit link edits specific section of that article, in Drupal you only get one edit button to edit the whole article. Can I get more than one [edit ] in the Drupal? Yes! But, with out giving up "Revision" function, because each [edit] will be a different node, which means there will be separate revisions for each node. So, all the revisions will not be stored in one place. Of course, there are few other problems that I am facing that are mostly with coding, and that Drupal community not really eager to help me out with. (Mostly PHP coding)

Most of my time I spend learning how to create add form like the one in WikiHow site.

But, if I just can get to work Wikihow clone site, that would be awesome, but again I am getting bunch of PHP errors there, and I am not PHP friendly user. Unless jackass want to help out, since he already have WAMP installed on his computer. biggrin

jackassDate: Sunday, 2010 October 03, 4:39 PM | Message # 4
Major general
[ ]
jackass already installed new OS about 100 times before I had WAMP biggrin
Well, I try to work with Joomla, Wordpress and many other PHP CMS and thinks like that, but it was a pretty hard to do and my progress was to small I need about 5 years like I spend with uCoz to get a good level at PHP, so I just give it up and started my "Modifikators" site on uCoz, I'm very good at this biggrin Well, it looks like I like easy thinks, life is hard, so I need something easy too biggrin

So I guess I can't help you

If I had a good host for my PHP site I guess I sill be working on it, but my host was loading my site for all day, this is a 2. reason why I give it up...

BrazenDate: Saturday, 2011 March 26, 11:15 AM | Message # 5
Colonel
[ ]
Ow boy, it seems like it was ages when I created this thread, so much time has past since then. This thread brought me a lot of memories back; Learning Drupal, on which I gave up, Joomla which I never installed since I couldn't find the modules I needed.

Anyways, I actually went with MediaWiki which I had to modify a bit. And let me tell you the site right now looks good, it have most of the wikiHow functions, it even have the same skin. I had to change a lot of code in the skin in order for it to work with MediaWiki. However, there are still some bugs I need to see through. Over time I will also need to change the design of the skin to my own. The site, however is still on my localhost, so no, it is not available to the public yet.

While working with MediaWiki (M.W.) I learned a lot of new things, and one of them is PHP (I am still a beginner to the PHP). I have a pretty good idea how M.W. works now, I remember when I was starting this thread, I barely new how M.W. functioned/worked from a user interface. As for the back end of the M.W., well I new nothing, I even had the hard time changing logo.

This is my update on the development of my wiki site, just in case if any of you were interested in my progress.

uCoz Support Forum by uCozers » Other » Off-topic » Wikipedia like site (sml[Default]Working with MediaWiki)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyrights uCozers 2009 - 2024 To TOP
Refresh Smileys Manager